Call for Lead Editors
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
Lead Editors for the Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (AJET).
Due date: by COB Tuesday 15 July 2020
ASCILITE invites applications for the role of Lead Editor. Applications by individuals as well as small groups are welcome.
The current AJET lead editors will complete their term at the 2020 ASCILITE conference. ASCILITE is committed to active succession planning for this important role and has now begun a search for a new lead editor team. The current lead editors will provide support to the successful applicants to ensure a smooth transition into the role.
The Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (AJET) is a highly regarded, influential, open access, online journal that has international standing and reach. It publishes peer reviewed scholarly research related to the educational use of technologies in the tertiary education sector. AJET is the official journal of the Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (ASCILITE) and has an Editorial Board and Management Committee. Since January 2012, AJET has utilised the Online Journal Systems (OJS) as its online journal management and publishing system. AJET is a recognised peer reviewed Q1 journal listed in Ulrich's Periodicals Directory.
Lead Editor broad responsibilities
The Lead Editors are responsible for setting and maintaining the editorial direction of AJET, and leading and overseeing the work of the Associate Editors and copyeditors. The Lead Editors also: fulfill the role of journal manager and manage and coordinate the production of AJET editions; compile reports for the AJET Management Committee and Editorial Boards and an annual report for the ASCILITE AGM. The Lead Editors meet with the AJET Management Committee (online) to negotiate the timeline and resources required for the journal’s activities. Lead Editors are expected to attend the ASCILITE annual conference to lead an ASCILITE workshop/symposium on publishing in AJET.
Details of expression of interest
The appointment of new Lead Editors will initially be for three years with potential for negotiation of a second term. Editors must have current ASCILITE membership (or be willing to become a member) and be familiar with the journal and with the goals of ASCILITE. As the official journal of ASCILITE, the Editorial team, and any other bodies necessary for the operations of AJET, operate in accordance with the ASCILITE constitution and under the governance of the AJET Management Committee and the ASCILITE Executive Committee.
Written expressions of interest must:
- Clearly address the essential criteria for Lead Editor (4 pages maximum); and
- Attach a short CV of no more than 4 pages.
Applicants should also confirm that their employer is supportive of them undertaking the role and that they are able to commit the necessary time to undertake the role.
Essential criteria for Lead Editors
- Experience in academic publishing together with an awareness of issues associated with editing an international journal and maintaining quality indicators as judged by the sector in Australasia and internationally, including impact factors, journal indexing, journal analytics etc.
- Reputation as a ‘known’ and active researcher in the field (educational use technologies in tertiary education).
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor a team (e.g. Associate Editors).
- Demonstrated ability to lead and project manage new initiatives and complex operations effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and constructively with multiple committees and stakeholders (including for example, authors and reviewers from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds).
- Commitment to the goals of ASCILITE, including ASCILITE’s members and future members.
- Capacity to use/learn the Open Journal Systems electronic journal management system.
Application and selection process
Proposals for the positions of Lead Editor will be reviewed by a selection panel comprising members from the ASCILITE Executive and AJET Management Committee. A shortlist will be made from the applications received by the deadline. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to participate in an online interview. The selection panel will recommend the new Lead Editors to the ASCILITE Executive for endorsement. In some circumstances the selection panel may be impressed by the application but may feel that the candidate should be recommended as an Associate Editor rather than Lead Editor.
Requests for further information should be submitted via email to:
Associate Professor Petrea Redmond
Applications should be submitted via email to: